Merrimack have an impressive back catalogue, judging from a search of the Library of Congress catalogue and an Amazon search.
Looking at their website I see that they are organising what looks like an excellent conference in Conneticut, which explains all the things I need to know about self-publishing, namely:
- Get a well-designed cover to attract your audience
- Distribute your book using online, bookstore and other channels.
- Generate publicity using social media, book readings, PR, book reviews and more
- Build an online presence with a WordPress blog and and website
- Harness the power of social media
- Develop a media kit and sell sheet
- Develop your own WordPress website
- Make a video trailer
- Crowd-fund your book
- Make a plan for success
Merrimack charge for their services and take a cut of the royalties of the book too, which seems a bit like having your cake and eating it. Nevertheless, I believe they will give good personal attention to my project, and get the job done well, which is the main thing that I want.